Thursday, September 17, 2009

Michael Jackson, my face

i am bouncing up and down on the urban tramboline while watching oprah remembering michael jackson. then something he says stops me in the tracks. '...i look into the mirror, i don't like what i see...' the resonance in me is strong. yes indeed, for most of my life i didn't like my face. it got to a point when i was actively thinking about doing plastic surgery to change from the one i have to some face i like. then i opened an old magazine, saw a face of a person i didn't know and the only thought that came to me was, this is the most beautiful face i have ever seen or imagined, i want this face. when i asked, why do i want to look like this person? this is the response i received: because we all want to live in that state. fast forward 18 years, there are still moments when i look into the mirror and catch myself thinking something like, if only my nose were not as flat. the difference between then and now is that i am aware that this is a thought festered from some deep-seated tendency that has nothing to do with who and what i really am, the inner Self.

No comments:

Post a Comment